Friday, September 3, 2010

Finding My Place

I made it.... Or, at least, here I am. Me. Really. Finished with my first week as an MBA student. It may not be much of an accomplishment, but really, it is. How to describe it.... Thrilling! Spectacular! Exhausting and Overwhelming. I am so fortunate to be immersed in this environment surrounded by brilliance, curiosity, and energy. For me, this has been a watermark week in a lengthy process to get comfortable in my own skin.

Much in my life is changing. The rigorous process to prepare and now begin this endeavor with the end in mind of securing a foothold that caters to my passions and strengths, and provides opportunity for my family has allowed me to experience deep introspection. After what has been years of feeling the frustration of pursuing professional experiences that are rooted first and foremost in an opportunist mindset focused on "paying the bills", I am finally breaking free of those chains and developing a true confidence in my identity, my strengths, and my potential that is allowing me to be true to myself. I am finally seeing that what I had always been told, that I really can do anything I set my mind to, just might be true.

This has been an interesting road. Seven or eight years ago, I caught myself regularly envying others. I was the king of comparisons, always trying to size myself up to others and even at times, privately stooping to identify shortcomings in others successes to justify my own frustrations with what I felt was a lack of direction in my own life.

Time and experience have adjusted those feelings tremendously. I now take pride in my deep rooted convictions that each person has their own course to chart. All ships must learn to tack in the wind to reach their destinations. Each person has a unique, and even divinely appointed identity. For the past 6 years, it has been my privileged obligation to reach out to individuals within my neighborhood to inspire within them the spirit of Christianity. This experience has stretched me personally by requiring the best that I have to offer on behalf of individuals and families who, like all people, are seeking to establish happiness and prosperity in their lives.

I have had a front row seat in people's most private successes and struggles. I have been there as they've made damaging choices and been blinded by the consequences. I have experienced the "how is it done?" feeling of vision and perspective being restored when the miracle of mercy has been received. I have learned that even "perfect" lives aren't perfect. Above all, I have come to know of the divinity that lies within the human spirit. I have learned that greatness is not discovered in the spotlight, but after diligent development in the still of night, it can be showcased on our own center stage.

As I've witnessed this first hand in the lives of others, I've found myself in continuous awe and gratitude for the experience to see this divinity that is within each soul. The most difficult conversion however has been that within myself. Yet, finally, here I am. Believing. Experiencing. No longer a supportive bystander cheering someone else as they pursue their own course, but finally, opening my eyes to acknowledge the blessings that have been pouring out upon me all along, quietly shaping my character, my values, and my conviction; inspiring me to realize that I am no different. I too have an identity. I can be comfortable in my own skin. There is a destiny for me and quietly, without realizing it, I have been preparing for this pursuit. My course here, is my own and it is one that I embrace and am proud to have charted.

No comments:

Post a Comment