Saturday, August 20, 2011

Sensational Summer


After 8 months, I've decided to try my hand at this blogging thing again. It's been a fantastic past few months that have blessed me with new perspective. In May, I moved to Portland, OR for a three month internship.

The first three weeks were very lonely. Kara and the kids stayed in Utah to finish out the school year. I found myself working hard, really enjoying Portland, but hating having to come home at night to a quiet old house to make dinner for one. I went from being about as busy as I've ever been finishing out the school year while trying to hold things together in a busy church calling, all while trying to get our house ready to rent to having virtually nothing to do. Within short span of ten days, I was released as bishop, finished with finals and driving to Portland. I felt very grateful for wonderful counselors, friends, and family whose support helped us reach that finish line.

Suddenly, with nothing to do, I started the summer in the late Portland spring. My job was fantastic and the friends and experiences had there were invaluable. At the end of the long three weeks, I was finally joined by Kara and the kids and coincidentally, the sun came out as well.

Our summer was filled with adventures. From multiple trips to the coast, becoming true Goonies in Astoria, walking to waterfalls, visiting a volcano, making the most of the many museums, and falling in love with new friends in Portland, our summer was one not to be forgotten.

Most meaningful to me though, was the chance to reconnect as a family. Our family had been so blessed with sweet experiences over the past few years, but I don't think I realized just how much we were being carried through it all. This time away from all distractions - both positive and negative, proved to be the perfect opportunity to assess our covenanted commitment to each other and to the Lord. The kids learned to love each other. While they missed home, and could have benefited from an occasional break that friends provide, I believe they're relationship with each other was strengthened substantially.

While the weekend day trips were exciting, I think what I enjoyed most about them were the long drives to talk with Kara. We have been married for 10 and a half years now. It's touching to reflect on where we were as 22 year old kids who had no business getting married and to consider how sweet that life together has become. I felt that our goals and hopes came together this summer in ways that we haven't experienced before. I am grateful for the faith that we share that seems to keep a gentle breeze in our sails allowing us to look beyond the difficult aspects of the decisions we have made together to see glimpses of tender experiences that lie on the horizon.

The summer like life was beautiful and short.

1 comment:

  1. I like this post Nate. sounds like it was totally worth it to go. We are sure glad to have you back.
    Katie

    ReplyDelete